Monday, March 9, 2009

laughter medicine or poison ?

On a day I normally don't visit the Blind associ ation I got a frantic call from the very same partially blind woman to read to her as she had a exam the next day.
. I pushed aside my various other plans and activities for the day and set off to the asso' anxious to help her.
It turned out that the exam was nothing to do with the main subject viz B'ed for which she has taken a loan of 60000 rs to join the course [the govt has a lot of schemes to help the handicaped people like scholarships ,loans etc] but an exam on G handhi for which she had paid only 20 rs ofcourse out of her pocket.She kept fretting that her 20 rs would go waste if she flunked the exam .Penny wise pound foolish.I thought let it be and calmed myself with the thought that here I am reading about G handhi on his 61st death anniversary truly a great privelege.
The lesson was about Ghandhi being thrown out of a train in S. Africa.A lot of educated but unemployed youths [blind]joined us and at end of lesson our talks turned towards falling down.One totally bl youth recounted an incident that took place 7 years back when he tripped and fell in a moving bus and how the laughs of some girls present in that bus and who were aware of his handicap hurt him and still hurts him.To console the young man I told him that I have been enough years to know that life has a funny way of paying back and that those girls will be laughed at one day and get hurt as you were and are.It is just a matter of time, so leave it at that and forget it. to be contd

No comments: