Wednesday, July 8, 2009

continuation

Then there is the grief of the child less couple .Their yearnings and plea's falling on deaf ears of the creator.Social pressures add to their sorrow and they seek solace in each other's company imagining the partner as child to be nourished and protected a substitute when confronted with the truth that for them are not the pleasures of bearing and rearing their own little one's.Here too self prevails,the man feels cheated for not having his name carried into distant future,the woman feels handicapped for being denied a natural and commonplace event in her biological cycle .
A child less woman once told me bitterly and sadly that she had been denied the pleasure of having a child whilst every one around seems to be liberally endowed and take it for granted their bevy of offsprings .If only she knew how I blessed with what she jealously regarded as the ultimate joy often envied her for being spared of the horribly empty feeling in my stomach that greeted me every morning for severalmonths with the realisationt that I was to endure yet another day with seesawing emotions that accompanied the memories rushing at me ,the thrill I felt at the first step of my first son,his precise parroting of our words,his uninhibited happiness at the first glimpse of pouring rain and to feel his physical and mental pains as my own,the huge emotional investment I had made for 24 years smashed to smithereens in a few seconds leaving me to pick up the broken pieces of life .
That childless woman was denied the pleasure but was definetly spared the pain.

No comments: