Wednesday, September 9, 2009

what is in a name?

I was filling an Railway recruitment board/s application for a totally blind person .One column required the applicant to make a declaration in his own hand and then sign it .It was 6 in the evening and I was reading and writing for Nagraj since 3 o clock .Early in the morning I had gone for a long walk. At home I had done the usual chores with the added burden of washing clothes. The temperature had risen to a searing 37 c and my walking down to the association a good 2 kms away from my house had tired me, so I said' should I fill this too' , wearily.At this Nag whose hearing and understanding is acute said don/t worry m'am just write blind and leave it .And they will understand. Hearing this Narsimhan another blind youth said should'nt it be visually handicapped or visually impaired?To this Nag retorted 'do these fancy words matter,THE fact is we are blind we can't see so why not write blind straight away ,a rose is a rose by whatever name one calls it' and to my utter surprise they all laughed loudly as if enjoying a huge joke !
Three blind men .They have been in darkness since childhood. They don't know what they or I look like .They don't know how everything else in this world looks like,. earth,trees,sky,water,colours and innumerable visual treats we take for granted .They are aware that they have been meted with a raw deal by fate or otherwise yet they are able to laugh at their disability and to take it in their stride.Hats off !

No comments: